POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : general quzzing. : Re: general quzzing. Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:35:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: general quzzing.
From: portelli
Date: 15 Apr 1999 13:39:05
Message: <371640A2.6D033785@pilot.msu.edu>
I'm not sure if I qualify to answer your question but I'll try.

Spider wrote:

> Ok, I've been povving for a while now, and I think most of you know that I'm not
> very capable :-)
> Well, I have some questions for a pice of work in a class on presentation
> techniques..
> I humbly come to you, people of pov, to ask for your aid in this.
> My questions are in the field of 3D graphics and raytracing in specific.
>
> 1)
> What are the current "cutting edge" techniques too create 3D images?
> I know of raytracing and scanline rendering. What other techniques exist?
Realtime rendering, like OpenGl and DirectX.  "Cutting Edge"
techniques?  I think the biggest fad is NURBS.  Most high end modelers
have them or a form of them.

> 2)
> 3D packages, prices for theese(full retail prices) as well as the technique they
> are based on.
Kinetics MAX (did they just change there name?)  reatail price $3000
(I'm guessing)
Maya or SoftImage ( Lots, $10000+ )
There are many more.  Look at http://www.4dvision.com  They have a lot
of info there.  Many of these you can get for student prices.  I know
MAX is $1300 bundled with Rhino.  SoftImage is only $1000, but the
license runs out after a year.  Check out http://www.journeyed.com/ for
student prices.

> 3)
> explination of the other concepts in 3D graphics.(I for one don't know what
> NURBS is, this and other things are what I would like to know of)

NURBS is Non-Uniform Rational B-splines.  I'm not sure about the math
behind them.  But they are very flexible in modeling.  Check out
http://graphics.lcs.mit.edu/~mcm/6.838j/talk.html for some other
interesting concepts in computer graphics.
> 4)
> Good examples of POV in different usages..
> --

??? not sure what you mean here.